Tuesday 28 July 2009

Epic Rides!


My day off and time for a big ride. Terry (the pilot) and I got a shuttle to the trailhead for Taylor Basin and started climbing. We climbed for 4hrs stopping for a snack and rehydrate at Taylor Basin cabin and then for a chat with some lovely Vancouver Natural History Society people at Eldorado basin who took our photo. One of them was an Ex Pat from Halifax and we compared Yorkshire accents mixed with Canadian.

We hike a biked on up Windy Pass for 45mins until we reached 2250m, there we met some of our customers and chatted for a while before we had our lunch and headed down down down the buff twisty singletrack for a 45 min descent to Spruce Lake.


We were doing good time so we pedaled along the lake to the Float Plane Dock and sat there dangling our feet in the water for 30mins before chatting to some campers and starting the long pedal back. 2.5 more hours was spent pedalling along narrow singletrack lines through wildflower meadows with views of mountains all around then down Gun Creek Trail skirting the creek and slaloming in and out of woods.

Had to refill a 3 litre camelbak twice from creeks so pretty much went thru 9L today- it's hot out there and the climbs take it out of you.


Adrian and Jordi met us with a beer at the Gun Creek Road pick up and the alcohol shot into my blood stream and to my head pretty damn quick. I was glowing with the sense of achievement. Another epic ride under my belt!

Where's that word I use so much recently - oh yeah - Wow!


And just to finish the day off with some excitement, while I was in the shower I heard an almighty bang in the cabin- it was that black bear breaking down the cabin door, followed by Terry chasing it up the road with stones! I'm just glad I didn't walk out of the shower to find it in the living room!!

1 comment:

Pete said...

You're lucky with the weather; we have had rain pretty much every day for ages :-(