Thursday 6 August 2009

Lorna Pass Epic Mountain Bike Tour



Today Terry and I hitched a float plane ride into Lorna where Dale was to pick up some camping gear. Lorna is a fantastic lake nestled right in the mountains, no roads to access teh area, miles from anywhere.

We had to find the trailhead at the end of the pond and after a while we found it but the creek crossing was deep and running fast. I didn't want wet boots for the hike a bike so we hiked back alomng the creek until we found a better place to cross. I started across with my bike in the creek and my feet on rocks and logs then my bike's front wheel got swept away in the rapids and pinned under a log. Terry had to help me yank it out and then we got across!

We hiked up almost vertical scree slope for the next 50mins- it was tough going but worth it at the top- fantastic views and not a soul around. All we could see was a sweet sweet strip of singletrack for miles and miles! Yes!



Headng down the first section I was hurtling along when I suddenly dipped into a huge hole and nearly went over the bars as my front wheel disappeared into a marmot hole that had been excavated by a grizzly- huge!

We rode for 3 more hours of singletrack through Lorna pass, along Tyaughton creek and then we hit the 4 major creek crossings. the first one we rode through over our hubs and feet pedalling through teh water- shoes full of water and squelching. The 2nd was bigger so we waded through and the rapids were running up over my knees and my shorts got wet too. The next 2 were slightly shallower but still mid calf height.


On we pedalled in wet shoes! Then just as my shoes were drying a little we joined the WD trail by crossing another big creek- soaked again! We climbed up the singletrack through wooded forests and over roots then it descended into Spruce Lake- great forest singletrack with roots and rocks to bump over and twists and turns- mmm mmm!

At Spruce we sat on the dock in the sunshine- drying our boots and socks and dangling our feet in the water as we refueled with Clif bars, clif shots and Ryvita. After a good rest we set off down to Gun Creek Trail through Spruce Meadows which were now less dusty and more tacky. So they rolled so well and flowy!

We did good time down and by 7pm we had a pick up from Terry's dad Ray and back to the cabin for a feast and some beer.

Another awesome day- some 60km of riding predominantly singletrack. Good times!


No comments: