Thursday 13 August 2009

Staff MTB trip


Some of the lodge staff have been asking me to take them out mountain biking. Well you know me, I love to share my passion for the sport but I like everyone to have a good experience. Problem is there is no easy trail around here, nothing flat and nothing non-technical! So where do I take a bunch of beginners?

Well today I finally said "Come on then let's go" and I had a big recruitment- 6 staff decided to come out, others were on duty and could not make it so maybe another trip to come.

I set them all up with rental bikes, adjusted everything and pumped tyres then taught them all how to change gears and gear selection while they rode round the parking lot. Off we set to the Freiburg trail and the first climb (2 mins in). Lots of huffing and puffing and getting off to walk their bikes. Elisha had to give up after the first bit of singletrack as her heart was beating too damn fast so I pointed her down "Johnny be good" singletrack to get back on the road home. Still she'd made it further than her last attempt and she'd tasted singletrack.

The rest were up for the challenge and were soon falling off the sides of the narrow strip of singletrack into stumps and brush. New battle scars emerged. We carried on up the logging road climb towards the lookout and it was great to hear the exclamations of "Wow!" as they got to the top of the hike a bike and saw the view.

Down the dusty chutes I made them walk as I did not want to be responsible for a third of the staff being injured and unable to work! But gradually they all attempted some of the slider descents to varying success. Finally we emerged onto Gun Ck road and started the big climb home as fast as possible so as not to miss dinner. We made it back at 5:40 for our 5:30 dinner- everyone grinning and asking me when we can go again.

Ah yes I do love spreading the religion of mountain biking- it sure can be infectious!

No comments: