Monday 3 August 2009

Rebirth and renewal



"...human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them, but...life obliges them over and over again to give birth to themselves."
Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I may sound a little chilled today as I've been lazing on the dock and swimming in the lake all afternoon for a change and a rest.

Above is the quote from a friends tattoo, that I've been contemplating all afternoon as it really struck a cord with me.
There have been many phases to my life so far, each one a variation of the last but certainly each has brought a new life. Never regretting leaving some parts of my old life behind, but keeping them as good and bad memories but most importantly I have always embraced the new life that evolves for me and brings new territory.

I am so glad that this year I have "given birth to myself" once more and come out here to jump at all the opportunities that come my way and experience all these new places, people and things. It's what makes you feel alive. I have not quite reinvented myself but rather allowed my playful side to expand and my responsible side to subside a little. It's so good for the soul!

So I looked up old Gabriel Garcia Marquez and found another quote that rings so true:

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams."

I am determined to keep pursuing dreams therefore and like Peter Pan never grow old! (I wrote that down to remind myself whenever I forget to pursue my dreams which I will some day in the future I am sure)

No comments: