Monday 15 June 2009

Day 30- Whistler Westside Black Diamond Ticking


After tasting Squamish (albeit on foot) I was keen to get some pedalling in and ride some of the very technical valley trails around Whistler. So instead of hitting the lift assisted bike park I took off on the Valley Trail to Alta Lake Rd and joined the Flank Trail climb opposite the entrance to River Runs thru it North trail entrance.

I climbed and hike a biked for quite a long time- insect repellent turned to insect attractant with my copious sweating I think and my eyes and ears were alert for Cougars and bears as I got higher and higher and more remote from anyone else- no riders here they're all in the lift line!

I crossed a beautiful thundering waterfall and then hit the heights for fantastic views over Alta Lake and Whistler and Blackcomb mountains up at about 17oom. I had my lunch sitting on a rock overlooking these great sites, fresh air, bright sunny day and blue skies- ahhh!

Then the descent into "Cheap Thrills" a double diamnod black- I've only ever ridden it on my freeride bike so let's see how the Zesty copes. The first rock slab descends next to a great waterfall gushing water sounds all around, then some steeper longer rock slabs to skid down as they were dusty- not sure how in control I was. Next up some very steep exposed ladder bridges- OK I'm on my own so just walk these CK- you have to ride at 70% when alone not 120%!

I didn't want to keep walking so I rode a few sketchy steep descents where I'm not sure I was entirely in control of the bike but it was exciting! The Zesty stood by me and took the trails well, besides most of this is easier to ride down than walk down. (But let me tell you neither opstion is easy!)

Eventually some super steep exposed switchbacks brought me out to 99'ers- another great black diamond run keeping my adrenalin running and turns onto Danimal Middle which was a tough singletrack climb/hike a bike before it hits Danimal South and turns steeply down becoming rock slabby and severe switchbacks with a couple of ridiculous rock drops I had to throw my precious bike down and clamber down myself on all 4s!

Ph-ew! Now a road climb up Stonebridge drive to find Beavers Trail- the only trails with Granite rock trailhead signs- it's a posh subdivision! My chain broke on the entry climb and I was releived to find I had my chaintool on me!

On beavers is the big whaleback rockslab with incredible views I had to spend a few mins staring at and as luck would have it I got to watch 5 float planes take off from the lake below me and climb up to above my head- waving at the pilot! I rolled the narrow rock slab section and even though I was alone I said out loud "F#@k that was scary!" so imagine how scary it was. Then dropped into the tight techy singletrack- really twisty with a few wooden structures- sweet flowy fun!

Exhausted I rolled down to Rainbow Park beach- stripped off armour and paddled in the glacial lake before collapsing for a snooze in the sun, then pedalling on home on the Valley Trail.

Even though I was ready for my bed after this I managed to make it out to the Mongolie Grill for dinner with the T2R gang and to Crystal lounge for beers and karaoke before crawling into my bed.

That was a good dose of thrills and exercise- just what I craved!

No comments: