Wednesday 17 June 2009

Day 31 & 32 Whistler




On Tuesday I needed a rest, it was kinda rainy and cloudy so I sat at my PC and worked all morning. Matt had issues with his RockShox Boxxer bushings so when we found this bike shop in Function Junction called The Fix inc Matt and Sean and I decided to pedal over there.

The pedal along the Valley Trail on DH bikes was longer than I remembered but it was nice to have an easy flat(ish) smooth pedal. The bike shop was great not a typical bike shop but mainly a spares and repairs shop. James the owner realised a gap in the market as so many shops here don't carry essential spares to get riders back on the hill ASAP. So he bought this CNC milling machine and some CAD software and can make parts for you on the spot. He has a whole wall of dropout hangers for just about any bike riding the park.


To top that he was a really helpful guy and spent ages chatting to us and helping Matt out with what to do with his forks as Rockshox bushings are hard to come by. He sold Sean some grease but he checked the tub and decided it was too empty so he topped it up from his own grease!

I'd definitely recommend him for anyone wanting to fix a bike- it's worth the pedal or bus shuttle down to Function Junction.

On Wednesday it was a bit showery so I worked again in the morning and sat around with everyone else mocching around the house but got very tetchy. Suddenly at 4:30 the sun came out so I whizzed over to the bike park and started to session Crank it up, then Ninja cougar and then Angry Pirate and every time coming over the middle GLC drop- it was a lovely evening, sunny, dry, tacky trails, really quiet lift lines. I was down the hill and straight onto a lift every 20mins.

I rode right up to 8pm- getting 8 runs in and then they were calling for people to sweep the hill (that means be the last person to ride down a set of trails and ensure that no-one is left up there before they sut down for the night). I got to ride Ninja Cougar, Karate Monkey, Samurai Pizza Cat, Devils Club, Monkey Hnads and the middle GLC to finish. I don't think the Bike Patrol guy thought I was up to it when he looked at me but when I arrived back and handed my card back in it set him straight and he was grateful. (I ride better than I look!)

So yeah I got to ride until 8:30pm and it turned out to be a great day in the end!

No comments: