Thursday 25 June 2009

Day 39 & 40- Wet Weather Days


Well it had to happen sometime and boy did we need the rain- the trails have been so dusty that they are starting to slip off the mountain. So it rained on Wednesday- a lot!
I sensibly took a rest day and did some work finishing off a project I aimed to finish by end of June so that was a good deadline hit! Everyone else hung around the house all day and then last minute Matt and Sean joined Mark for the PHAT wednesday DH race down B-line. Modt of the T2R guys did it chainless. It was wet and very very muddy- yuk!

Sean managed a 4 minute chained run, the winning time was 3:44mins. Mark was around 4:45 chainless. Matt saved his money and did not race.

Thursday was better weather but still cloudy and a few showers. I needed to stretch my XC legs and pedal but nothing too slick i.e. no techy rooty rocky trails. So I pedalled the Valley Trail tarmac for 11km to Function Junction and headed up the blue run trails along the Cheakamus River. Up via Farside to the Suspension bridge and then up Riverside on the other side. It was a good climb but not technical at all, so from the Olympic Village construction site I managed to find the new entrance to Trash a black trail and started to negotiate the rocks and roots I'd been avoiding!




It was very wet and the river was roaring down. I had to hike a bike up over some wet slabs and logs but managed to ride others. Eventually I came out ona gravel singletrack so I started following it. After anout 30 mins I looked at the terrain below and decided this was taking me down the highway South somewhere. Fearing I might have to pedal back along the highway I turned back.

At the trailhead I found I was on teh new Sea to Sky Trail. I guess it could have taken me to Squamish or further sounth but it was signposted 11km to Brandywine Falls. I would have liked to have made it that far but I'll leave that for anotehr rainy day as its a pretty tame trail- only good if you want an easy pedal down the highway or to acheive a long distance.

Well I hope that my trip to Squamish that was planned for today will happen tomorrow, but more than that I hope its sunny and dry or else Squmaish will be an extra challenge to ride!

No comments: