Monday 22 June 2009

Day 37- Ninja Cougar Bites Back


Back in the Bike park today and on my Scythe.
It's been raining for a few days and pretty cold and cloudy today but the sun started to peak out and so I headed up the Fitzsimmons express. Crank it up was smooth and tacky and not slick at all- the wet has dampened the dust down so it rides really fast. As a warm-up run I was really flying down there and getting great air off all the tabletops.

I ran that a couple of times breaking off to session the joyride drop park to remind myself I can ride drops! Then I hit Ninja Cougar or did it hit me?

As this trail is tight singletrack berms in the woods it was a lot slicker but on the first few turns that was not an issue and I was riding it as fast as I rode it in the dry but then I came round a right berm and as I unweighted and hopped into the left berm my front wheel slid out and my bike disappeared and hit a tree whilst I continued turning left, now head first and only now did I realise how fast I am moving relative to the ground as my shoulder hit the next berm and my head smacked into it- digging a nice dirt divot in my vents. Ow!

A bit shaken I quickly removed my bike from blocking the whole trail, checked myself and realised I was Ok but will have a bit of a headache/neckache later! A big part of me wanted to call it a day but I carried on down Karate Monkey and B-line and even dropped the GLC drop and got myself straight back into the lift line to head up again.

Next I rode Angry Pirate a Black that had potential to be slicker than Ninja Cougar in these conditions so I hit it at 70% to be careful, especially as they have changed the trail- there is a new hop into a right hand berm to tight left hand at the start. It was a great run down and I love Lower Angry Pirate with the boardwalk to drop. I finished on Hornet where a group was standing being told the line to ride as I shot by them, apparently I gave a perfect demo as it turned out to be a T2R group.

Another run down Angry Pirate and then Crank it up and I bumped into the other T2R crowd so I rode with them down Fantastic into CIU and then Angry Pirate and then CIU all the way again. It was great to follow people again as I was flying off the TTs and round the berms- such fun. Keeping that confidence up on the blues and blacks today- no DD's (double dimaonds)!

Apparently you can ride the Gondola to the Roundhouse and ride down from there- Dan says Original sin is in poor condition but Freight Train and No Joke are good- but the guys who'd been up there were covered in mud so not really tempted to go up til it dries out as Orig Sin is my fave up there. However I do want to check out New Joke. Come on sunshine dry us out!

No comments: